Customer Assistance Programs

City Utilities is pleased to offer late fee exemption to customers meeting the following eligibility requirements:

  1. You are at least 65 years of age OR you currently receive Social Security or Disability income
  2. The City Utilities account of which you are requesting the exemption is in your name and is your primary residence.

To be considered the following documentation must be provided:

  1. Your Photo ID
  2. A signed copy of this form which serves as your admittance to meeting the eligibility requirements above
  3. SSA Award Letter (if you are under the age of 65 and receiving social security/disability benefits)

Documents may be provided by mail to City Utilities Customer Support, 200 E. Berry Street, Suite 130, Fort Wayne, IN 46802 or by email to

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Acceptance of your Late Fee Exemption application does not make you exempt from disconnection of service or any other collections efforts applicable by City Utilities due to nonpayment of your utility bill.

Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at 260-427-1234.

Many Trustee’s Office provides emergency financial assistance for individuals who meet eligibility requirements that live in their township.

Not sure which township you reside in? Search for your township.

Visit the township trustee’s website or contact the trustee for assistance information.



Cedar Creek

Eel River














St. Joseph



The City Utilities Relief Fund (CURF) is available to customers who need help paying their bill, up to $150 a year for eligible customers. To be eligible, customers must meet the following requirements:

  • Denied assistance by their Township Trustee
  • The applicant must be the City Utilities customer on the account
  • The service address of the account must be the residence of the applicant
  • The applicant can not have any other outstanding bills with City Utilities

CURF may not be used to pay closed accounts, deposits, or used to pay disconnect and reconnect fees if the water has been disconnected. If a customer’s bill exceeds the $150 maximum, the customer may use it as down payment and set up a payment plan for the remaining balance. There are no limitations on additional assistance money being applied towards the remainder of the customer’s bill before or after using CURF.

For information on how to apply for CURF please contact Customer Support at 427-1234.

The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a new program funded in part by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. LIHWAP is a temporary emergency water/wastewater program that will help low-income households and families during the COVID-19 pandemic.  It will be used to fund a one-time benefit for eligible households who have been disconnected or are on disconnect notice from water/wastewater services or arrearages for water/wastewater services. This funding is available to be used through September 2023 and the program will be finished when the funds run out.

To learn more information and to apply, visit the Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority’s website.